Why become a CPA?
CPAs are an attractive hiring choice among top employers. The CPA license opens doors to a range of careers. Set yourself up for a bright future — become a CPA!
The OSCPA Young Professionals Strategic Committee has created "Why CPA?" videos to provide insight to the CPA profession!
Educators, feel free to use these and share with students. Just drop us a quick note to tell us where you're using!
Why should I become a CPA?
Featuring Alyssa Downs, Cameron Clark, and Daniel Wardle
What can I do as a CPA?
Featuring Jake Johnson, Cameron Clark, and Tonya Moffitt
How important is networking?
Featuring Tonya Moffitt
What's your favorite part of being a CPA?
Featuring Cameron Clark, Andrew Soltis, and Tonya Moffitt
Featuring Nina Nitiadakul
Consider a career in accounting
How to become a CPA in Oregon
The Oregon Board of Accountancy handles licensing. Here's what you'll need to do:
- Meet the education requirements described in OAR 801-010-0050, which includes 150 semester hours or 225 quarter hours and a bachelor's degree from an accredited college
- Complete one year of experience in accounting
- Pass the Uniform CPA Examination
- Pass the Ethics Examination
How to pay for college
- College is expensive. The OSCPA Educational Foundation is here to help, awarding annual scholarships to full-time college accounting students who plan to pursue a career as a CPA in Oregon. Learn more
- Applications for the 2023-24 academic year are closed. Application will open for the 24-25 academic year in November 2023.
Can OSCPA membership help students? Yes!
(Already graduated? Visit the Young Professionals page!)
- OSCPA Student Membership on your resume shows employers you are serious about your career.
- Networking and learning opportunities build the skills you need to thrive in the workplace.
- OSCPA Career Center lets you post your resume and browse jobs.
- The annual Circle of Excellence Awards Night honorees include Oregon's top accounting students, Foundation scholarship recipients, and top exam scorers — will it be you?
- The annual Career Showcase connects students with representatives from public accounting, government, and business for potential internships or employment. Student members enjoy early-bird entrance!