It's increasingly important for finance and accounting candidates to showcase additional soft skills outside of their core competencies, such as communication, technology, and leadership.Continue Reading
Why become a CPA?
CPAs are an attractive hiring choice among top employers. The license opens doors to a range of careers. Set yourself up for a bright future — become a CPA!
Can OSCPA membership help me? Yes!
- OSCPA Student Membership on your resume shows employers you are serious about your career.
- Networking and learning opportunities build the skills you need to thrive in the workplace.
- OSCPA Career Center lets you post your resume and browse jobs.
- The annual Circle of Excellence Awards Night honorees include Oregon's top accounting students, Foundation scholarship recipients, and top exam scorers — will it be you?
- The annual Career Showcase connects students with representatives from public accounting, government, and business for potential internships or employment. Student members enjoy early-bird entrance!
OSCPA Chair Selene Sullivan greets students at the 2020 Virtual Career Showcase.
Chair Selene congratulates honorees at the 2020 Virtual Circle of Excellence.
How to become a CPA in Oregon
The Oregon Board of Accountancy handles licensing. Here's what you'll need to do:
- Meet the education requirements described in OAR 801-010-0050, which includes 150 semester hours or 225 quarter hours and a bachelor's degree from an accredited college
- Complete one year of experience in accounting
- Pass the Uniform CPA Examination
- Pass the Ethics Examination
How do you pass the CPA Exam?
Is the CPA Exam hard? Yes. Can you do it if you are determined and work hard? Yes! Here are some tools:
- CPA Exam Blueprints – Review these blueprints, effective July 1, 2021.
- Uniform CPA Exam – Understanding Oregon requirements
- CPA Exam Review Options – Several CPA Review Courses are available from well-respected online providers, several of whom offer substantial discounts to OSCPA Student Members.
- Chance to win free scholarships to review courses: OSCPA Members can enter quarterly drawings sponsored by our exam review partners.
How to pay for college
- College is getting more expensive. The OSCPA Educational Foundation is here to help, awarding annual scholarships to full-time college accounting students who plan to pursue a career as a CPA in Oregon. Learn more
- The 2021-22 scholarship application period is open through January 11, 2021.
- OSCPA members can refinance their students loans with Credible.