Welcome to the Coaching Program
The OSCPA Coaching Program* is a great opportunity for CPA members to mentor student and first-year CPA candidate members (2018 grads) about the CPA profession! CPAs share their insights, knowledge, and experiences with aspiring CPAs. In turn, aspiring CPAs have the opportunity to ask questions about the profession and receive advice on how to pave their own career path to become a CPA.
The OSCPA has put together a simple outline to follow with suggested topics and a list of resources to use throughout this program. The outline and resources are meant to provide support, as each coaching pair will make the program their own.
Coaching Program runs May 1 - August 31, 2019
Matches are finalized in late April.
Suggested Meeting Outline for the Coaching Program
- Initial Meeting: The Accounting Profession; Public vs. Private
- Second Meeting: Building a Professional Network
- Third Meeting: CPA Exam
- Fourth Meeting: Recruitment, Interview Skills and Resume Tips
*OSCPA membership is required to participate in this program. Not a member? Join today!
"The program was very helpful because I got to learn more about how to prepare for taking my CPA exam in the near future and about other resources I can use."
— Student Member
Resources & Articles:
Coaching and Mentoring in General
- A guide to understanding the role of a mentor
- Crafting a mentor meeting agenda
- 10 Mentoring tips for corporate the mentoree
- 10 Killer questions to make the most of your mentor meeting
- Find a mentor, land a new job
- What is accounting?
- The difference between public and private accounting
- What does an accountant do?
- 7 Cool career paths in accounting
- The importance of career networking
- How to use networking to find a job
- Examples of networking letters and emails
- AICPA's CPA Exam blueprints, effective July 1, 2019
- Becker Professional Education
- Roger CPA Review
- Surgent CPA Review
- Wiley CPAexcel
- Yaeger CPA Review
Interview & Resume Tips
- 64 Big 4 interview questions (and how to answer them all)
- How to start a cover letter
- What to include in a resume experience section
- Top 10 interview tips from an etiquette professional
- How to send a professional thank you note
- Etiquette tips - how to write a thank you note
Most importantly, relax, have fun, and enjoy this unique networking opportunity. The OSCPA is here to support you in this adventure. If you have any questions, please contact Member Services or call 503-641-7200 / 800-255-1470 ext. 4.