|Full time Accounting Educator:||None|
This course analyzes why family business succession plans (or the lack thereof) most often fail, identifies the precipitating downfalls and explores remedies to prevent them. A model(s) is presented for effective succession from one generation to the next. Particular emphasis is provided on how recent developments and estate and gift tax uncertainty on the immediate horizon may tip the balance.
**Please Note: If you need credit reported to the IRS for this IRS approved program, please download the IRS CE request form on the Course Materials Tab and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To learn the challenges and opportunities facing entrepreneurial business desiring to pass on within the family to a future generation(s) and approaches and tax breaks making it possible
- Basic questions to be addressed for effective succession planning
- Developing a plan (step-by-step format)
- Recent developments worthy of attention and action
- When to begin planning, how often to revisit an existing plan
- Transfer and income tax considerations
- Protection maneuvers against creditors, predators and in-laws
- Capital structure devices: family partnerships, family LLCs, S corps
- Direct lifetime vs. testamentary gifts, transfers and intra-family sales
- Liquidity considerations
- Symptoms of a plan in trouble, possible solutions
- How CPAs may enter the succession planning fray to build their own businesses
This event has already passed. If you have any questions, please contact us at 503-641-7200 or email email@example.com.