|Full time Accounting Educator:||-312.00|
The above fees may not be reflective of the total event price. See below.
Design your own unique business & industry CPE package! If you work in or advise clients in business & industry, this two-day event lets you dive into topics that address your specific professional learning objectives and help you deliver maximum value to your organization. Select from among eight different targeted sessions across multiple tracks of study: Business Management, Finance, and Accounting & Auditing.
Two Learning options:
- Learning Track 1: Get up-to-speed on some of the most critical changes brought about by tax reform, including drastic changes to depreciation rules and major impacts to the real estate industry, and stay informed on other essential topics, including payroll taxes and LLC/partnership pitfalls.
- Learning Track 2: In this time of rapid change for CPAs in industry, ensure that you have the most up-to-date knowledge to gain competitive advantage and position your organization for the future by optimizing current business management, finance, and accounting tools and strategies.
Hotel Features / Accommodations / Amenities: The Oregon coast is your constant backdrop when staying at the Hallmark Resort in Newport. All of the rooms offer oceanfront views with access to a variety of guest amenities and the hotel is pet friendly. Visit their website for a full listing of everything this property has to offer!
- Room Rate: Traditional one queen guest room rate is $119 per night plus tax. Limited edition two queen or king spa guest room rate is $154 per night plus tax.
- Hotel Reservations: Contact group reservations at 541-265-2600 and identify that you are with the Oregon Society of CPAs to get the special room rate listed above.
- Room Block: A sleeping room block is available for the nights of Wednesday, March 13, Thursday, March 14, and Friday, March 15, 2019. Guest room rates will be offered three (3) days prior to dates above and three (3) days post dates listed, subject to availability. Hurry! Room block expires on February 25, 2019!
- Accommodation Cancellation: Cancellations must be received 48 hours prior to date of arrival or one night's room and tax will be assessed. Additionally, if any guest checks out prior to confirmed departure date an early checkout fee of one night's room and tax will be assessed.
CPAs, CFOs, controllers, and finance professionals.
- Understand the current issues and latest trends impacting CFOs, controllers and finance professionals
- Understand how today's business issues could impact your organization
Day 1:Morning Sessions (select one):
- Thriving in a Chaotic Economic Environment: Planning and Strategy Formulation for Your Organization:
Develop strategies for the organization that make an impact *Avoid the political pitfalls that often come with the planning process * Maximize the usefulness of the different plans developed for the organization * Identify the differences between strategic and incremental planning * Implement strategic planning at the department level * Make the planning process enjoyable and painless for the entire organization * Be familiar with the results of the case studies and exercises that reinforce key learning points throughout the course.
- Annual FASB Update and Review: (Jeff Lieman)
Be aware of recent private company standard setting activities * Review the latest FASB Accounting Standards Updates (ASUs) * Understand and apply the FASB’s comprehensive new Revenue Recognition guidance -- Topic 606, Revenue from Contracts with Customers, and its related updates * Understand the new lease accounting guidance found in Topic 842, Leases * Recall key provisions of recently issued FASB Updates.
- Innovative Forecasting and Budgeting: Moving Beyond the Traditional Techniques: (Art Pulis)
Develop a one-year operating plan (formerly referred to as a budget) * Avoid the political pitfalls that often come with the forecasting and budgeting processes * Maximize the usefulness of the forecasts developed for the organization * Perform a financial risk analysis * Perform an EVA analysis (PV, ROI and Modified ROI) * Be familiar with the results of the case studies and exercises that reinforce key learning points throughout the course.
- Key COSO Concepts: Managing Risk to Achieve Your Business Objectives: (Jeff Lieman)
Explain the evolution of internal control concepts, culminating in the 2013 version of COSO’s Internal Control-Integrated Framework * Describe important internal control concepts related to evaluating the design, implementation, and operating effectiveness of internal control over reliable financial reporting * Be familiar with a more extensive enterprise-wide risk management approach guided by COSO’s Enterprise Risk Management * Be familiar with practical implementation tips and examples.
Morning Sessions (select one):
- Controller/CFO Update: Hot Topics Facing Today's Financial Professional: (Art Pulis)
Understand the current issues and latest trends impacting CFOs, controllers, and finance professionals * Understand how domestic and global economic conditions could impact the organization * Be familiar with the results of the case studies and exercises that reinforce key learning points throughout the course.
- Financial Statement Disclosures: A Guide for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses: (Jeff Lieman)
Understand and apply the professional requirements and guidance for preparing financial statement disclosures for all entities, including small and medium-sized businesses * Identify balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows presentation issues * Review disclosure examples from all sized entities, including small and medium-sized businesses * Be familiar with developing disclosure issues, such as those related to the adoption of new accounting pronouncements * Utilize hands-on examples and illustrations to increase your overall understanding and application of the material.
- Gaining a Competitive Advantage: Critical Skills for CFOs and Controllers: (Art Pulis)
Make better financial decisions that have a positive impact on the organization * Lead the organization into the rapidly changing decade * Apply the latest tools and techniques for a positive impact on the organization.
- Five Critical Issues That CPAs in Industry Will Need to Face This Year: (Jeff Lieman)
Sweeping tax reform. New accounting pronouncements. Impact of Section 199A, the new 20% deduction for pass-through entity owners and investors in real estate * Other business impacts of tax reform, including changes to deductions for entertainment and lobbying expenses * Impact of new accounting pronouncements * Personal information and privacy * 401(k)/retirement planning issues.
Jeffrey Lieman, CPA, currently heads his own consulting firm, Lieman Associates LLC, in Owings Mills, Maryland. He provides consulting services, contractual assistance services, and training to CPAs, their firms, and their clients. He is a nationally recognized lecturer for various accounting, auditing, and technology topics and has been quoted in various trade journals. Mr. Lieman's previous experience included serving as the chief financial examiner for the Maryland Insurance Administration and being a director for Ellin & Tucker, Chartered. He trained staff in many areas of accounting, administration, and consulting. He also served as a senior manager and national trainer with KPMG in Baltimore, Maryland where he developed training materials for staff and instructors. Mr. Lieman was elected chairman of the year by the Maryland Association of CPAs for his service on the computer resources committee.
Arthur Pulis III, MBA, has over 35 years of professional experience in finance and banking. He regularly serves as a consultant for the finance and banking industry. He was the executive vice president of a major finance company. Art is a dynamic continuing education speaker with over two decades of speaking experience.
Art is the author of the popular seminar Controllership: Leading Edge of Corporate Performance. He has been recognized as an outstanding discussion leader by the AICPA and has received several top discussion leader awards from state societies.